Wednesday, July 12, 2006

DAY 5, Drive to LOGAN, UT

Golly, this scenery is phenomenal. It’s raining way out to the North East, we can see the lighting. It’s Majestic. America is a beautiful place, I’ve never been to a lot of the places we’ve driven through thus far and they’re spectacular. We’re still on our way to Utah in Wyoming. We stopped about an hour back to get some lunch, which really got me thinking. America is huge, but everywhere you go, you see essentially the same typecast, the same mold of people. Middle of no where in the East is going to feel like middle of nowhere in the West in terms of demographics. Suburban Dallas is going to have the same social consistency of suburban Miami. What causes this? I think possibly it has to do with media outlets are the same everywhere, thus information, trends, styles, are going to be homoscedastic. Not like continents elsewhere in the world with countries the size of our states where there’s several different languages and very different cultural customs. For instance, in younger generations, we seem to be losing our accents. I sound like TV, no cultural roots in the tonal quality of my voice, except maybe I sound Midwestern. No drawl. No tarr, farr, boll, or oll in my tire, fire, boil or oil. I’m getting to the point where I want something distinguishing in my voice, so I’m trying to integrate pieces of American dialect in my homogenized vernacular. It’s dangerously close to the edge of being annoying, like that friend that studies abroad for six months in the UK and comes home sporting a high school acting class cockney mockery drenching every word they speak with Allo’s and Mate’s. But I don’t care, I’m willing to take that risk. I’ll trade my monotonic voice and David Shwimmer inflection for coastal nook colloquialisms and small town one liners. Maybe that’s becoming my goal on this tour, through osmosis to get some of this American culture I find so endearing. I guess let me know when I get back if my vocal melting pot wows you or not.

No comments: