Monday, October 01, 2007

9/30/07 San Diego

Wow, this is an interesting venue. It's called SOMA, and is what used to be a movie theater in a shopping center. The green room is behind a door you punch a code into and climb some stairs that lead you into what is an empty floor that used to house the film projectors. Every single thing I have touched has been sticky. Every scent I've smelled has a vintage popcorn finish. The sound system is huge. Huge. There are two stages at this place, we played the side stage, which is probably 300 cap, the main stage is 2300 cap. I guess it's three of the theaters combined. I know this because I counted number of projector windows that there are up stairs that stare into it. If there was going to be a zombie apocalypse, this is a prime location for it to start just based on its dramatic lighting alone. Everything is shadowy. Every third door is locked. Roof access. Palm Trees. There should always be palm trees with zombies. Mainly because California is so expendable.

Scott's lady Megan came with us, I like that because I like her. The old drummer of Umbrellas, Brandon came as well. He rocks. And he's 6'9". And he has a blonde beard. Love that. So when we back loaded our amps I didn't really pay attention, I just put my cab in front of the headlining band's bass cab. So when the time came for us to play, I found myself positioned in the middle of the stage with Nick to my left and Scott to my right. Oh I felt awkward. Everyone was looked at me as though I'm the singer. Star of the show. Crap. I just faced Sammy all-night and laughed. The show went well. Worst stage sound I've ever experienced but we made it through. So I have my niche markets where the ladies inexplicably love me. Washington DC is one of those places and Now I guess San Diego has made the list. I had four girls (three of them together) come talk to me at length about how "precious" I am and how "cute" my glasses are and "I just love saying your name, 'Sethy.'" Kinda awesome. Kinda. I'm not big on being regarded as a novelty but it's fun now and again. Only one of them bought something. Thanks. Being hott doesn't but food in belly. We drove back to Huntington Beach and stayed at Megan's house. I slept the sleep of the dead. That felt good.

1 comment:

Lil Sweetie 2 Shoes said...

"Every single thing I have touched has been sticky." that's a funny and quotable line....even if it wasn't meant to be. I laughed when i read it because I could actually imagine every single thing being sticky, haha.