Monday, October 08, 2007

10/06/07 Austin, TX

It took us a while to get moving today. College football makes these guys move like molasses. Which is fine, but I know if I wanted to stick around because there was a live feed of some sort of competitive poster printing match going on I'd get loaded up into the van whether I liked it or not. Once we at lunch (4:00pm) it was one at one of the only places I find redeeming in San Antonio and it is an authentic Mexican restaurant called Mama Margery’s. Then we went to see Kenny at the Buckle he manages in a cool outdoor mall and to the apple store because among the tens of things Nick has lost on this tour his Mac book charger was the most recent. Unfortunately, the apple store did not have any in stock. Then we drove the hourish to Austin and I slept the whole time. It was great sleep. The kind where you have to wipe the drool out of your moustache. When I woke up we were in front of Emo's. There was an early show going on so we couldn't load in yet so we walked six blocks to my friend's coffee shop, Progress Coffee, and all got some tasty coffee treats and read neat magazines. I sat outside and talked to my sister Emily on the phone for a good while about how my niece is going to an outdoorsy camp and how she's (my sister, not my niece, Ashley is totally stoked!) so nervous about it. Chiefly because she won't be around to tell her "not to step in the bear poop". Parents are funny in that way. I don't care how young you are; you're not going to step in a giant pile of shit on purpose. And if you do nail it, BAM, lesson learned: "Stepping in huge piles of shit is really not all that great. I am never doing it again." So Emily, if you ever read these accounts of my quasi-interesting exploits, let me assure you that Ashley has got it under control. Even if she steps in something undesirable, she's gaining something valuable.

How the hell did I wind up way over there on that tangent? Anyway, Emo's was great, really good staff and a stage manager that just all together had all of his shit in one sock. And our drink tickets scored us any beer wanted. It was fun seeing Zookeeper play their hometown, they had an accordion player and a piano player that joined them for their entire set. It was wonderful. We're staying with a very solid dude named Pierce. Though, I think he spells him name differently than that. He and I talked for a long while out on his porch; I really enjoyed his insight and vantage point.

Tomorrow, tomorrow we drive home. I'm ready for that. I'm excited for that. Don't ask me why because just don't.

No comments: