Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day 1, March 10

Welp, here we go again It’s been a really long time since I’ve written in the roadlife. I feel like my life has changed a lot since the last time I’ve gone on tour. Finished college. I have a full time job. My life is exponentially more draining and hectic than it was last summer. I’ve really looked forward to this tour, essentially being forced to sit still for extended period times. Can’t do anything but ride in this van with these four friends and play these shows. I’m finding a lot of solace in the idea that I’ll essentially be single goal minded for the next two weeks. So, my esteemed readers, I think I’ll set some goals for this stint of musical traveled chronicled in this blog. This should make it more interesting for the both of us.
1) To live life for each day, concerned only with the time book ended by sunrise to sunrise. I’ve been working on doing some self-actualization as of late because I’ve been dealing with some heavy depression and anxiety the last few months that has not been common to my life thus far. One problem (among many, I’m sure) I’ve determined is that I generally live at least a day in advance, constantly worrying about the stuff that’s coming to me, not what’s happening at the current moment. So there’s goal number 1, enjoy the happenings of each day. I think that will also help me in my relational investments with my friends.
2) To be honest in my retellings. I have a real talent for talking myself out speaking my mind because I don’t want to step on any toes. Well damn it, you’re just going to have to watch your toes. Sethy needs to have some honest time.
3) Because I’ll be doing each day a day at a time this blog is going to be largely more exciting, candid and cathartic. Hold on to your butts.

I’m sitting in the van next to Brady typing on his computer. So we’re on our way Wichita Falls TX to play show one of two week tour. I’ve never been to Wichita Falls, but I hear that there are some very enthusiastic music fans down there. We’re playing with a band called gazelles, I’ve never heard them but I once bought a t shirt from them because it was such a rad design. And they seemed like very nice people. And I find the keyboard player quite attractive. Jarod suggested I approach her with a “mature greeting kiss.” Not gonna happen. So yeah that should be a fun time. It’s a VFW, I generally really enjoy playing VFW’s, less pressure, more of an intimate and relaxed setting. Well, I’ll let you know how it goes, We’re almost to Wichita Falls.

Welp, that was interesting. The VFW was right next to a lake so Brady, Jarod and I walked over there and enjoyed some sitting still by the placid washing of the water. The show was fun, good small town show. Lots of young kids, I don’t think too many people there were born before 1990. Wow, that’s weird to say. I had a really good time, when we played everyone sort of wrapped around us and that was neat because we were playing on the floor. I really like playing these songs with these guys. Oh and Gazelles ended up just being their singer, everyone else was doing other stuff, he was good, I liked it. The New Frontiers (formally Stellamaris) also played last minute. I really like that band.

So this band played that really got my cranial cogs a churning. All the guys seemed pretty young, under 18, maybe. It was like watching a way low budget A&E made for TV documentary about contemporary musical movements in rural towns, chock full of historical reenactments and this band was one of those scenes of reenactment. A new era of ADD culture fed on world of war craft, high fructose corn syrup and Jackass movies. They couldn’t really get through a song but damn it all if they weren’t having the time of their lives. That is, until they got distracted by boobs or their shoelaces. Then they were having the time of their lives all over again.

I was kinda bummed on how much underage smoking was going on. Just a bunch of kids trying to look cool and rebel against their parents that don’t understand them, who will they themselves turn into their parents who don’t understand their kids who drink, smoke and are sexually active at an early age.
Anyway, We’re on our way to fortworth to stay with one of Jarod’s friends. Tonight is spring forward, right? I like when it stays dark out later. Brady is asleep next to me, his computer is about to die so I think I'll sign off. be sure to read his tour blog as well, I'm sure they'll be conversational. bradyontheroad.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it's been a while! Look at the chin in that pic!